Thursday, October 1, 2009

Just Refurbishit!

I love to decorate. In our first apartment I thought I knew what I liked. We bought a set of living room furniture(couch, love seat, chair, coffee table, end tables, matchy, matchy , matchy. . .) We painted the walls a darkish green/gray and bought ALL dark wood. When we were done setting the place up I realized, I liked the look but not for my house. Too traditional and predictable. It just didn't capture my essence.

When we bought our current house I had about 6 months to shop and look at magazines and get ideas while the house was being built. I determined that I love colors, floral patterns and some vintage items. Little did I know decorating your house is a never ending project! In a good way:) Nick and I are constantly rearranging, disagreeing and just changing things in the house.

When you discover you love to decorate you soon discover most furniture out there is blah, blah, blah boring. So, Nick and I love to buy stuff that will fit where we want it, then do what we want with it. It's fun and something to be proud of. Not only does it show your guests a little bit more of who you are but it also makes your house your home.

Here are some things I've done with boring furniture, paint, new knobs and some imagination.



Just completed this desk yesterday. I'll let you in on a secret, I sketched out those flowers before I painted them. Nick was nervous about me free handing it.





I'm in love with the knobs!







This is our old black coffee table. I painted if off white and sanded the edges to make it look worn.







Another adorable knob from Anthropology that jazzed up the old coffee table.





This is the new coffee table, since I stole the other one to paint and put in the loft. It was all white in the as is section at IKEA and Nick painted the top and I did the pattern on the bottom.





Tell me what you think!

3 comments :

  1. I Am Not A BIV said...

    The new-look coffee table looks pretty nice.

  2. lamcakes said...

    LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ALL!!! Sarah, (and Nick), you are sooo creative! I always have ideas but never follow through with them. What an inspiration you are! You should do more and sell them on Etsy. BTW.. Anthropology DOES have the best knobs out there.. along with the cutest kitchen knick- knacks. Keep it up! It all looks great!

  3. Jonathan Carter said...

    I am really impressed. I'll be honest and say that I was never really a big fan of interior decorating, or picking out fancy furniture and all that jazz. My mom kind of overdoes it and makes it not fun because she is super anal about things looking good.
    This type of stuff makes it fun. I like the fact you and Nick are having fun with it and being open to new ideas in the house, even down to paint your own stuff freehand. So cool.
    I was really impressed when I came to your house and loved the dark red paint in the bathroom and the coffee table. You are right to say that it is just another way that a homeowner can manifest their personality to their guest.

    Anyways, I thought the knobs were pretty awesome from Anthro.

    Looking forward to seeing your house again for Superbowl! The Cardinals just need to start winning now....
    _
    Chad